Japanese Curry Omurice
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil for the pan
Pinch of salt
1 cup cooked rice (Japanese rice would be ideal but normal long grain rice will do just fine. If cold, reheat in microwave first)
1 package ready-to-eat Japanese curry (like these, not the dried boxed kind)
- Boil water in a pan and submerge the pre-packaged curry to heat up its contents.
- Whisk the eggs together and run them through a sieve and into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the pan and lower the heat to medium low.
- When the egg has begun to set (this will take less than a minute), spoon the warmed cooked rice onto one side of the egg. Using a spatula, carefully fold the other side of the egg on top of the rice to make an omelette (aka OMURICE!). Cook for a few more seconds.
- Plate the omurice and carefully pour the heated curry over it. Garnish with whatever you have on hand – something with acidity would be great, like Japanese pickled vegetables!