Last week I had an intense carb craving. I wanted something cheesy and starchy. I remembered there was a pack of chorizo slices leftover from my parents’ dinner party. I did a quick search of “chorizo pasta” and this easy recipe popped up. The main ingredients were chorizo, egg, cream and pasta, which I had. I substituted the whole chorizo with pre-packaged dried slices and the spaghetti with mini shells. It came out like a fancy mac and cheese. Ticked all the boxes of my carb craving!
Mix the egg and cream together in a small bowl.
Add about a teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper.
Slice the dried chorizo and render the fat in a small pan.
Add the chorizo and oil to the cooked pasta.
Add the egg cream mixture. Make sure the heat is off or you will end up with scrambled eggs!
Mix well. The chorizo should start to color the pasta.
Serve immediately with more black pepper and shaved Parmesan.
Recipe – adapted from here
16 pre-packaged slices of dried chorizo
¼ cup cream
Freshly cracked black pepper
Shaved Parmesan, optional
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, cut the chorizo into thin strips.
- Combine the eggs, cream, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Heat a small pan on medium and sauté the chorizo until the fat has melted. Turn off the heat.
- Drain the pasta, and return the pasta back to its pot with the heat off.
- Pour in the chorizo and melted fat into the pasta pan.
- Add the egg cream mixture and mix well. The residual heat from the chorizo and the pasta will cook and thicken the egg cream. Add salt to taste.
- Serve immediately with cracked black pepper and a generous shaving of Parmesan.